Our trip to Siem Reap is one that I will remember for a long, long time.
I was very impressed with the place, the people and most specially the impressive ruins!
And surprisingly very affordable for such a touristy place.
An entire weekend there only cost us $500, inclusive of hotel, dining and food.
Here are some tips to maximize a short 2-day weekend visit:
- Apply for an e-visa prior to your travel or else, waste 2 hours at the airport to get one.
- Book a private tour with Sam Pho. Our driver is such a nice gentleman and our tour guide was so energetic and enthusiastic. You can tell they really love their job and so proud to showcase their country! One day of 14-hour tour in a private car with our own driver only cost us $100!
- Do wake up at 4:30 to camp early at Angkor Wat to see the sunrise. It's quite a spectacular site!
- We were able to visit 4 ruins in a day, thanks to our very well planned tour from Sam Pho. We were able to cover Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Banyan Temple, Ta Phrom and 3 other little temples in between!
- While Angkor Wat is the most impressive size-wise, and Ta Phrom is the most famous thanks to Hollywood's Tomb Raider, Angkor Thom is my favorite. The identical 4-sided head carving in each and every single column of the structure is just impressive. Knowing this is at least 1000 years old makes it even more impressive!
- We managed to take photos as if there's hardly any crowd there! Another reason to book with Sam Pho tours, they know the "secret" places to take the best shots! A bonus for my hubby who is a photo junkie.
- Watch an Apsara dinner dance show. It's a great way to end your visit!