What I liked best from the World's 6th Best:
- Our reservation was timed perfectly at dusk so we had a nice view of Central Park as it slowly got dark. I thought it was very romantic.
- We got a very private table, looking at everyone else and away from most of the foot traffic.
- The caviar supplement was worth every penny!
- The brioche is taken away even if it's only half-eaten to make sure guests always have the 'optimal' temperature for the foie gras! Yes, it's excessive and yes, you'll feel a bit guilty for such indulgence.
- The foie gras with volcanic salt is the best we've ever had. Ever!
- The steak will be my last meal before I die, given a choice.
- The private tour of the kitchen was such a nice touch.
What can be improved:
- I thought the the service at Eleven Madison Park is slightly better and friendlier.
- Please serve the langoustine dish a la Le Bernardin!
- Please make a truffle dish like Guy Savoy but don't make it a supplement.
- Please let each guest bring home the leftover mignardises and chocolate selection. It's a one small request considering I had to give up shopping for two pairs of Louboutins to have this dinner.
- Forget about Open Table for reservation. Use a concierge service or know someone that has access to one!
- It's dressier than Eleven Madison Park or Le Bernardin. Ladies wearing cocktail dresses will fit just right in.
- Experiment with the foie gras. We had ours eaten by itself, with the brioche, with the different salts, with the brioche and salt. Then at the end, we each picked a favorite and told our server about it.
- Ask for the salt not to be taken away and try it with the steak. One word of caution: mind blowing!
- Research your preferred wine pairings using their own iPad app, it's fun! I enjoyed that better than talking to the snooty sommelier.
- If you're friendly to the servers, they will explain with much more gusto about each course and how its prepared. It was way better than listening to their standard scripted spiel.
- Relax and enjoy the food! I can't help but notice a few diners that night that were too stiff as if they were acting in a period drama.
- We should have waited to eat here after we've been through most of the other Michelin-starred restaurant. Now, everywhere else we go seemed fast food-ish in comparison. Our foodie future is doomed, and the only redemption would be to go back.
On Me: Escada LBD, tweed jacket, Trina Turk for Banana Republic clutch
On Him: Burberry suit, MICHAEL Michael Kors tie